Sunday, June 14, 2009

Week 3 Internship

This week I processed two films. One was in black and white, which was the first one I have encountered thus far. It was silent as well and also in relatively good shape. The other one I did was color and silent too, but this reel had some problems. Most of the sprockets were torn or jagged for the first half of the reel. It was causing a bit of a problem and I had to proceed very carefully because the jagged edges would catch on my gloves. I initially thought that this was caused by the projector, but about half way through the reel, the jagged edges just disappeared and were not present on the rest of the reel. I was curious how the jaggedness was only on half the film? Was it caused by the projector or was it something else?

I spoke with David and he wanted me to look into getting more tools for the film inspections. Basically looking to see what is out there and how much things would cost. So I am compiling a list. I am looking for a splicer, tape, leader and small storage boxes for reels. I think I read that there are grants out there to purchase materials for film, but I will have to check into this. I also think this research can also be used for my research paper.

No comments: