Monday, June 29, 2009

Film Internship Week 6

At the Heinz History Center today, I inspected two films. The first film was larger than the others I have inspected thus far. It had sound strip and a magenta hue throughout the film. Overall, it was in relatively good condition. It looked like the color was fading from the film, and in parts there were black spots near the edges. The second film I inspected was in pretty good shape as well. There were not any scratches, tears, or splices. It was in Technicolor and had sound as well. Again the color in this film seemed to be fading. While inspecting the film, I noticed there was a very thin line of magenta that ran along the soundtrack throughout the film. It was only about the width of a pin, but noticeable. I was curious if that is supposed to be there or not? If it is not, what makes this magenta line show up and what is the ultimate effect it has on the film? The other thing I noticed about this particular film was not that it smelled like it had vinegar syndrome, but it had a musty or mildew odor to it when I got a good whiff. Is this odor just from the age of the film, or is it an indicator of further deterioration problems ahead?

No comments: