Monday, September 1, 2008

Comments

I commented on Rachel's blog https://courseweb.pitt.edu/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp?tab_id=_2_1&url=%2Fwebapps%2Fblackboard%2Fexecute%2Flauncher%3Ftype%3DCourse%26id%3D_9047_1%26url%3D

Rachel,I like the idea you mentioned about security with technology and to what cost should be spent on security. I had some thoughts about this, but do not know how effective they could be. I thought in order for smaller electronic things not to go missing that a library could put bar codes on them like they do with books. Another thought I had on this is taking some sort of collatoral from a person, i.e. ID or keys like places do if you are playing a game of pool or shuffle board. Something that a person is going to want back no matter what. It does not fix the problem per say but it definitely could be effective and possibly not a large cost to the institution.


I commented on Megan Zimmerman's blog https://courseweb.pitt.edu/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp?tab_id=_2_1&url=%2Fwebapps%2Fblackboard%2Fexecute%2Flauncher%3Ftype%3DCourse%26id%3D_9047_1%26url%3D

Hi Megan,I would like to comment on you first muddiest point, which I found to be a very good question. I do not think there is a line between information and entertainment in libraries. Yes you can argue that the research section and some DVD's like documentaries could be construed as informational, but whats to say about the fiction section. I get books from there specifically for entertainment value and every now and then I learn something new. I really think it is still both because it is up to the individual consumer to determine what they are getting out of the resources provided.

No comments: