Thursday, October 23, 2008

Week 9 Readings

Introducing the Extensible Markup Language (XML)

This article was an overview of XML. From my understanding, XML was designed to make it easy to interchange structured documents over the Internet. I am assuming it is "better" than HTML, but not exactly sure. That is about all I got out of the article, unfortunately. I basically went right over my head.

A Survey of XML Standards: Part 1

This article summarized the most important XML technologies and how they fit into the greater scope of the XML world. The site also had explanations with tutorials and other references to use XML. There was a mass of information, but easier to muddle through than the first article.

Extending Your Markup: an XML tutorial

This article states that XML is important for presentation, exchange, and management of information. HTML is about layout and XML is about the content of the data. I thought the article had good examples and good references to resources, software, and material to help you on your way. I still do not feel I am very solid on the lingo.

XML Schema Tutorial

From what I gathered from this article, XML schema is the successors of DTD's, whatever those are. The article also gives listings of what XML schema can do for you. It also provides examples and comparisons between simple XML document, DTD file, and XML schema as well as more details such as elements, attributes, and values. Hopefully at some point I will see the Holy Grail in all of this and it will make sense.

Muddiest Point:
How did someone come up with the color code for HTML? I was confused as to why it is in numeric code instead of written?

6 comments:

Susan Barbish said...

I do agree that the reading where hard for this week, They went right over my head as well. I did not know anything about XML coming into the readings so the terms they used confused me and I do not know the Lingo. Maybe the a wiki would of provided an easy general overview or maybe there are other sites out there to look at that break it down simpler for us with no experience.

Anonymous said...

Most of the readings when right over my head too. The good thing is when you make your web site you really don't need to understand the html text. Most sites have wizards that walk you through it making it a lot easier.

Abby Jacobsen said...

Hey friend!

I agree with you about not being completely down with the lingo. There is nothing in the world that I hate more than computer buzz words and the people that use them.

Anonymous said...

I say lets leave this stuff to the people who can a) understand it without getting a headache 30 seconds into it and b) people who actually do this stuff for a living. I don't think I'll ever do this stuff, mainly because it hurts my brain and seems deathly boring. I don't doubt it's usefulness, just my ability to do it.

sanda said...

Hi Theresa,

I felt the same way about the third article. It was more manageable than the first two and the examples provided were easier to follow and understand.

Lori said...

Add another person who felt these readings were over their head. I think i read and reread them and they still didnt make a lot of sense. part of it is the feeling like they tend to "think" you know what they are talking about and no matter how much you try to understand, it just keeps getting more confusing.